Saturday, January 28, 2012

1/28/12


I guess it’s safe to say I’m back in full on training mode.  My mileage and workouts have been pretty steady but just w/in the last week have I been beginning to feel mentally stronger.  My weekly mileage hasn’t been triple digits too many times but I think I’m being much smarter about it all.  I cross train w/ the bike, weights, swimming.  I mix it up from week to week to try to trick the legs.  One week, I’ll really try to destroy the legs w/ hills.  Then I’ll back off and bike for the majority of the next week.  Then I’ll do a hundo mile week.  Then I’ll give the legs a break and focus on some upper body or core workouts.  I feel that cross training is what helped me out last year.  That seems to be what my body responds best to.  All of this is after a significant cut back in workouts and mileage at the end of last year and the beginning of this.  I took some time off and then slowly started incorporating workouts when I felt like it.  And now things are coming together nicely and I’m really looking forward to exercising everyday.  It’s really important to add in that mental break to your training every so often.  All of our needs vary widely but I know when burnout is around the corner.  That’s when I back off. 

I’ll be switching jobs in the very near future and I have arranged it so that I will be able to fit in more training.  I will have more free time and it’s much easier to run to this job than my previous job.  There’s a treadmill and a shower to which I can use at my disposal at any time I please.  AND I get a week and a half off in between jobs.  And if you know me, you know I’m just going to live like a hermit and train like a wild man.  It’ll be a big week for sure and I can’t wait. 

And last but not least, I am officially signed up for the McNaughton trail 100 mile run in about seventy-eight days.  I feel like I’ve been training well but just the act of signing up will light a fire under you and make you put in a few extra miles at night.  I did the fifty there last year and it nearly destroyed my legs.  I couldn’t walk down stairs for days.  This year, it will be my first 100.  I’m also training for Leadville in August.  Those will be the two A races for the year.  I’m doing two 50k events in February and one in March.  All of these will have big runs (20ish miles) the day after in preparation for the bigger events.  I’m looking at 8-9 ultra events this year and I would like to do well and not be burnt out at the end of the season.  It’s a fine line.  I know I say it every year but this is going to be my biggest year.  Every year, I’m just trying to blow it up bigger than I ever have.  I have nothing to lose.  I’ve gotten rid of all the people in my life that tried slowing me down.  If you don’t support me and my goals, you’re out.  I don’t have time.  These are the things that I’m passionate about at this point in my Life and I’m trying to show others how to explore their passions, even when and especially if it means losing sleep, losing girlfriends or sleeping on a park bench to get it done. 
If there’s something you want to do in this Life, do it. 
DO IT.  
If you don’t like your job, quit it and find a new one. 
What’s stopping you but yourself?  
Now if you’ll excuse me...I’m off for a run...

No comments:

Post a Comment